I was thinking about Bro. Wm Johnson tonight and this incident came to mind.
About the year 1976, a revival started at Oak Grove during the season that tobacco was being set. I refused to work in the tobacco field while the revival was in progress, and while others were getting their tobacco set, and getting a good start on the weather, as the revival progressed, my tobacco plants were getting almost too large to transplant. I was in danger of losing the entire crop because of a late planting. I remember that Bro. William Johnson, also put aside planting his tobacco until ‘after’ the revival.
When the revival ended, I transplanted my tobacco, but the crop never seemed to grow like it should, and I only had what appeared to be about a 80% crop. The day that we hauled the tobacco to the market, other problems developed. En route to Bowling Green, the top of one basket blew off, and a considerable amount of tobacco was lost along Hwy 101.
Upon arriving at the tobacco barn, I discovered the top of the basket was missing, and hands of tobacco were scattered about the truck bed, while others were completely lost along the road.. The warehouse workers gathered up what they could and placed onto the basket which was quickly weighed.
The numbers, pounds, etc., I have now forgotten, but whatever the poundage was., I believe it was about 920 lbs quota, when the tobacco was weighed it came out to the exact number of pounds.
The man operating the scales, was in disbelief and made the men take the tobacco off the scales, and then re-weigh the entire crop again.
The second weighing, produced the same weight....920 lbs. Now the man was dumbfounded, and told me that he had never seen that happen before in his life.....exact and to the pound ! I was also mesmerized, because I had lost tobacco along the road, and yet I had my exact quota..... not a pound over or under.
The next time I saw Bro. William Johnson, I told him what had happened and he told me that he also had met his quota, and sold his tobacco for a good price. We laughed about that for years.
There is nothing that God won’t do for those who put him ‘first’. "There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet; but it tendeth to poverty. (Prov 11:24)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment